CNNews – A 10-year-old boy who had eaten a banana his mother purchased at a Walmart in Tulsa, Oklahoma, was rushed to the emergency room due to fever, chills and fatigue just seven days after consumption. After a thorough examination, blood tests and scans the young boy tested positive for the HIV virus. His mother obviously in shock. However, the 10-year-old child was not the only one admitted to the hospital for the same issue. Eight children, all under the age of 17, have been diagnosed as HIV-positive within the month of March. What is the one thing they have in common? Purchasing bananas from The Tulsa, Oklahoma Walmart.
According to the parents, they submitted several foods their children had been eating to doctors for testing, along with documenting the different places they had visited within the month. They found that all 8 children had consumed bananas from the superstore. The facility, LHC Laboratories, tested the bananas which all came up positive containing the HIV virus. Researchers are still trying to understand how the virus could have entered the bananas, stayed active, and infected the children through consumption.
In the meantime, bananas are being pulled off the shelves in Walmart stores across the United States. According to many media outlets, the CDC is encouraging Americans to discard any uneaten bananas and to contact your doctor if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- Night sweats
- Muscle aches
- Sore throat
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Mouth sores
These symptoms could be an indication that you have contracted the HIV virus and need to seek medical attention immediately.