Shocking: Her Son Was Poisoned by This Plant! It’s Extremely Important for You to Know!

Almost everyone keeps a plant or more in their house. The plants are beneficial as they purify the air, decorate the space, bring positive energy in the home, etc. However, people should be very cautious, as there are some plants that are pretty dangerous, full of toxic chemicals.


Here is an article about a plant of this kind, a pretty common plant that numerous people around the world have in their homes. The plant’s name is Dieffenbachia, also known under the common name Dumb Cane. The Dumb Cane already has a bad reputation, as it is believed to kill the children, murder the foul and even burn down your house.

Esteban is a five-year-old boy who was playing around the house when unexpectedly started experiencing severe painin the stomach. His parent thought it is only a regular stomach painthat has been caused by the great number of sweets Esteban had previously eaten. However, after a while, the pain was becoming stronger and stronger, so theparents took the boy to the hospital. After the examination, the doctors found out that the kid suffered a heavy poisoning.

The treatment of the five-year-old body started right away and it lasted for more than three hours. Nevertheless, unfortunately, the boy suffered an attack of anaphylactic shock. Anaphylaxis is a very serious, life-threatening allergic reaction, which requires an immediate trip to the emergency department and an injection of epinephrine. In case of late treating of anaphylaxis, unconsciousness or even death can follow.


The cells of this plant contain calcium oxalate crystals in the shape of needles. These crystals are called raphides. According to some experts, the toxicity of this plant is the result of its content in proteolytic enzymes that propitiate the histamine production. Once one chews a leaf of this plant, these crystals cause a temporary feeling of burning and erythema. Rarely, edema of the tissues exposed to Dieffenbachia has been reported. Mild symptoms are only caused by mastication and ingestion.

If children or pets come into contact with dieffenbachia (usually by chewing it), this plant can cause a host of unpleasant symptoms, such as intense numbing, oral irritation, excessive drooling, and localized swelling. In the majority of cases, the symptoms are mild, and they can be successfully treated with the use of antihistamines, analgesics, or medical charcoal. There are rare cases of gastric evacuation or lavage. Out of all people who become exposed to toxic plants, 70 percent are children younger than five years.

In hope that you have found this article useful, we recommend that you share it with your friends and family. Thanks in advance.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *