Although the benefits of the papaya fruit are well known, not many people are aware of the benefits of papaya leaves. They are rich in numerous healing compounds that can improve your health and well-being and cure numerous diseases including dengue fever and cancer.
According to studies, papaya leaves contain phytonutrients that can boost your blood flow and have powerful antioxidant properties. The leaves’ effects are mostly due to the presence of papain, alkaloids as well as some phenolic compounds.
The active components of papaya, papain and chymopapain, can improve the protein digestion in your body and are often used to treat digestive problems such as bloating. On the other hand, an alkaloid called carpaine has chemo-preventive properties which can help cancer patients.
Papaya leaves’ health benefits:
- Protect your cardiovascular health: The juice contains powerful antioxidants that will boost your immune system and dilate your blood vessels, effectively improving your cardiovascular health.
- Blood platelet production: Keeping your blood platelet level high is crucial after a serious disease. Papaya leaves juice will boost your platelet production and help you stay healthy.
- Liver support: Papaya leaves juice can cure liver conditions such as jaundice, cirrhosis and liver cancer.
- Lower your blood sugar levels: The juice can regulate your insulin sensitivity as well as your blood sugar levels, effectively preventing conditions such as diabetes and fatty liver disease.
- Prevent diseases: Papaya leaves contain a compound called acetogenin which can prevent dengue fever, malaria and cancer. It will reinforce your immune system and help your body fight viruses and bacteria.
- Boost your energy levels: Drinking papaya leaves juice regularly will boost your energy levels and help you prevent fatigue as a result.
- Support the digestive system: As we mentioned previously, the leaves contain papain and chymopapain, as well as protease and amylase enzymes that will help your digestive system break down proteins, fats and carbs. The juice is recommended to people suffering from digestive problems and can regulate your digestive system. It can also prevent inflammation in the stomach lining and eliminate bacteria such as H. Pylori which are often the main cause of digestive problems.
- Soothe inflammation: The anti-inflammatory properties of papaya leaves juice can reduce the inflammation in your body and prevent inflammatory conditions.
- Regulate inflammation: Drinking papaya leaves juice will reduce PMS symptoms and regulate your menstruation.
- Homemade papaya leaves juice: Put a handful of the leaves in a blender and mix well, then store the juice in a small bottle in the fridge for up to 5 days. Mix it with a fruit juice to make it tastier. Start drinking the juice in small amounts as it is very bitter and potent.
- Papaya leaves tea: Put 10 medium-sized papaya leaves in 2 l. of water, then boil them until the water evaporates to half. Afterwards, leave the tea to cool down, strain it and consume it. Always drink the tea fresh – if you can’t, you can store it in the fridge for 5 days.
- Papaya leaves extract: If you can’t prepare papaya leaves juice or tea at home, take them as a supplement in the form of tincture or capsules, but make sure to find organic supplements.
You might help someone in need, so don’t forget to share this with your friends and family on Facebook!